The primary objective of Roadies Retreat Inc, is to provide a beneficial charity whose purpose is to provide relief to people in need:
- Create and operate a residential community for ageing stagehands who are unable to care for themselves due to poverty and inability to physically continue to earn a living in the entertainment industry.
- Provide activities to the residents in the community to promote their physical and mental health.
- Provide access and transport to medical care services for residents in the community
Initially, as a pilot, we envisage purchasing local property with a communal house in South East Queensland. Future stages will be to incorporate a Roadies Retreat in all States of Australia. Moving forward, we want to expand on the accommodation/facilities, which will assist in social and economic independence for all senior aged people who have worked as a stagehand in the Australian entertainment industry (5years or more) and are over the age of 50 with reducing capacity to perform their normal work duties and at risk of homelessness and poverty.
This ultimately will result in additional stages of expansion, both locally and interstate providing a social, healthy, inclusive environment for all residents.
- Access and participate in inclusive, accessible and well-designed cooperative accommodation.
- Achieve personal goals and actively engage in a good community life.
- Advocate for and promote cooperative community options.
- Providing community gardens not only teaches people a skill that can be applied to future employment or careers, but it also provides food for their community, gives low income people and families access to fresh produce and vegetables which most currently don’t have access to.
- Provide opportunities for the community to be directly involved in the construction, layout and formation of their new home, giving them self-worth, purpose, direction and recognition of their value to their own success.
- Assist in development and mentoring music events and workshops.
- Provision of low-cost accommodation, social and economic independence for all senior aged people who have worked as a stagehand in the Australian Entertainment Industry, providing a community of peers who are over the age of 50 and who have reducing capacity to perform their normal work duties and have low incomes and/or pension.
- Personally, empowering those people with no retirement plan or superannuation savings, and who are unable to live satisfactorily in the community without assistance. This is a supported living model for low-cost rent, and to relieve poverty and homelessness.